Saturday, September 22, 2012

Day 38: A Good Day

Today was a good day (as so obviously pointed out in the title). It was one of those days where I woke up thinking it was just going to be a pretty OK Friday but things just got better and better. 

Every Friday we have a culture class in the morning. It's basically this lady who takes us around town to show us different things related to the Mexican culture. Today was exceptionally fun because we got to eat. I'll explain. 

Tortillas de Maiz (corn tortillas) are kind of a staple for every meal here. It's like how rolls can go with most meals in America. Here, it's tortillas. So, Irma (our culture guide) took us to make tortillas de maiz. At first I thought we were going to her house but instead we went to this little town right outside Tehuacan called Coapam. Here, we met these lovely ladies. 

They make about 2-3 THOUSAND tortillas a day. We watched them grab handfuls of corn pure`, flatten that with the press, and swiftly place the flattened corn on the griddle. Easy no? 

Flattening it was...

Getting it on the griddle perfectly? Not so much. 
That wrinkled one.... it's mine. They got a good laugh out of our feeble attempts to do what they do 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. I love how when I learn about this culture, I continue to gain a new found respect for the people. These women blew me away with their efficiency. They seriously made entire batches of tortillas in about 5 minutes. 

After this lovely adventure, we went back to the school and I got to take a nap after finishing a chapter of "The Time Machine". :D I LOVE NAPS. The floor was even cold so it felt really good to sleep there. I also love this book that I'm reading. It's so exciting and interesting to read, but not too hard to understand. Perfect!

Then began the teaching. Everything went smoothly, which in a teacher's world means that everything was successful! Yay! And we got to dance today. I always love Fridays at 7:45 because that's when we clean up and get ready to dance till school ends. :) I am even starting to learn all of the "Friday" song. So now I can terrorize my brothers when I get home. MWAHAHAHA. Just kidding, I will probably hate that song by the end of the semester. 

Then I went home and changed into sweats and a t-shirt, thinking that I was staying in tonight. My sister Leslie came downstairs to help me cook dinner. Actually, she just helped me fry the tortillas. We have one of those stoves where you turn on the stove top and light it with a match, which scares the bejeebers out of me. I don't ever use them and so I think that, knowing my luck, the stove would explode once I lit it. So she helped me with that. I'm happy to say that the stove didn't explode and the tortillas were delicious.  She decided that she's become a great cook because she can fry tortillas and eggs. :) Cute girl. Love her to pieces. 

Now my night could have ended right here, and it would have been a pretty awesome Friday. Little did I know what was in store. Leslie went upstairs while I was eating and then rushed back downstairs to ask me, "Do you want to go to the games?"

"Mande?" (huh?)

"Do you want to go to the games??" (as she points in the direction of a nearby fair that is going on right now).

*CLICKS* "OH! Do I want to go to Show Vega?" 

"Yeah!"

"Yeah I want to go!! Do you want to go?"

(claps in excitement) "Yes!"

"Yay!!" (proceed to jump up and down like I'm 12 again.)

"You should probably change though."

And so I did. And we went to the carnival.

SIDE NOTE: This girl is so stinkin cute. That is all. 

Me, Mama, Leslie, and Camila joined Lucy, Luis, and Ricky to go to the fair. These are probably my favorite friends of my parents. Lucy is super nice and funny and her boys definatly take after her. They also speak moderate English. That's a huge plus. ;)

Luis and I rushed onto the first ride. It didn't look too scary to me. We got the front too! It wasn't very crowded there (which was fine cause there were no lines!) so we got to ride all the rides wherever we wanted. :D


This one ended up being scarier than I expected.

There was a point where the ride was hanging upside down for what felt like forever and a day. That got me. I can handle the feeling of falling out of my seat for a brief moment. This however, was not a brief moment. 





Me: WOO-HOO!
Luis: Uuugh....

Hahaha! Let the madness begin!











And fun times were had by all! 

Pretty awesome Friday if I do say so myself. 

I realized during one of the rides with my sister, that I really enjoy being childish for moments. Like when riding a roller coaster, You get to laugh and laugh at the thrilling sensations and laugh more at the person next to you, who is also laughing. It's one of those little moments that I will always cherish. Not going on that specific ride, but laughing like a fool with my sister. I will cherish the memory not for the things, but for the people. Days where I make those kinds of memories end up being very good days. 

Later, while eating tacos from a taco stand, Leslie asked me, "Today. It was a good day?" Smiling, I said, "Si! It was a very good day." 

And that was my Friday. :) I definatly love surprise fun-tastic Friday's like crazy


1 comment:

  1. You've never been on the Kamikaze before?? you're life was seriously lacking until that moment. I'm glad you finally got to go :)

    ReplyDelete