Monday, January 23, 2012

I get a little bit stronger...

So I'm taking a class called "Family Foundations". It's a religious class and it's required for my general classes at college. Go figure, since BYU-Idaho is a religious school. Anyways. I've heard a lot of different opinions about this class and how difficult it is, how much reading there is, how boring it is... BUT I am actually starting to like this class. For this class there are 6 units that last for two weeks. For each of these two week units we are to set goals according to the topic that we're given in each unit. The last two weeks I was focusing a lot on scripture study. That was part of the unit. I'm so sneaky... hehe. I'm combining my "becoming courageous" resolution for this year with my class goals. It works. 
Now that I've explained that, for the next two weeks we are learning to become healthier. We're focusing on our goals for a more nutritious diet and exercise. At first I wondered Why in the world would our personal health be in a course focused on building up our families? Then it hit me and I'm surprised why I even had to wonder. After being inspired by my mom and those other amazing people on Team iPhysique, it would seem apparent how important being healthy was to create healthy families. My lifestyle choices are going to effect my future family. They will effect how long I stick around, and how active I will be in my family's lives. My choices will also influence my children's choices, creating that ripple effect that is so often seen in my life... (I should do a post on that someday... moving on). Anyways.
These next two weeks I'm to work on my diet and my exercise. Both of which I'm a little stumped on. I think I eat generally healthy. I don't eat too much junk food, I like fruit, and I'm always sure to have grains and protein because my mom has influenced me to make those kinds of choices. However, upon analyzing my diet a bit more I noticed some flaws. There are two that are pretty prominent and therefore, they will become part of my nutritional goal for these next two weeks. 
1. I definitely don't drink enough water. On a good day I'll drink one, maybe two, 24 oz water bottles. The problem I have here is that I don't like the taste of water on most days. Here in Idaho especially. I also am not a huge fan of water flavors like crystal light. I'm kind of stumped as to how I'm going to fix this problem... So I'm looking to my audience for a little inspiration. And if I don't get anything, then I'll just figure it out on my own. Tough it out. Maybe that's what I really need to do. 
2. I don't eat nearly enough veggies. Now this is a little more of a financial problem than it is a whether or not I like them problem. Eating healthy is actually anti-poor college student. I actually love vegetables. My top favs are cucumbers and squash. BUT I find myself having to limit myself to the bagged frozen vegetables. So for these next two weeks I'm going to put in a little more into my veggie section of my grocery budget. But here's my question to all of you out there: What are your favorite cheap vegetables? And any good recipes to go with them? 

Ok, so now that we've gotten the nutrition portion of the goals down, it's time to talk about the second part. Exercise. Oh boy... I am actually pretty active if I do say so myself. I am currently taking 4 dance classes and participating in the Independent Colorguard in Rexburg, ID. I am finding that sometimes though, I'm running out of breath at the end of the day. This could be due to natural fatigue but it also could be due to the fact that I'm not in the best shape I could be in. Apart from my exercise I get from class and guard, I don't like exercise. I worked at a gym and I don't even like to work out. Go figure? Anyways. I'm thinking though that for my goals there will be a couple of small ones. 
I want to someday be able to do all of these moves... 
1. Stretching. I'm trying to work on gaining flexibility that I've lost in the past years. I will stretch at least 30 min every day. That is my goal. This one is actually a goal that I am going to enjoy. It's relaxing to stretch. 
2. Cardio. I know that I'm bad at running and I hate running. With a passion. I'm wondering to all you iPhysique ladies who are also not too inclined to skip your way to the treadmill, What do you do? Like the water issue, do I just tough it out? It's unfortunate that the outdoors are kind of out of the question because it is FREEZING here, but I'm willing to try just about anything. And maybe even try some interesting treadmill workouts. 
Here's to my roomie, Karen.

3. Arms. My arms... they're twigs. And I know this. BUT I wish to change that. I'm thinking of doing a push-up challenge. I'll do 10 each night and increase that by 15 in the second week. Starting small I know but it's more about forming a habit. I could be totally off on this one though but we'll try it. 
I know that I could just look up different exercise routines and cheap healthy dishes and such but I want to know your favorites! I want to know that there are other people who are like me and hate cardio, or don't like water. I know it's not going to just take two weeks and like magic I'll be perfectly healthy. This is to start getting me into healthy habits though. I'm thankful for the examples that I've had in my life. Specifically my mom and her teammates. They are the most inspiring people I have come across, each with their own unique but equally amazing stories. 
So here's to these next two weeks as I try to establish a healthier lifestyle. We'll see how this goes!
Just another What are you Crazy?! moment for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment